Evaluation of the quality of systematic reviews critiqued by clinical assistants in-training
Conduct an overview of systematic reviews (SRs) reviewed by clinical assistants (CAs) in-training. SRs relating to clinical procedures and theoretical concepts, critiqued by CAs were included. Review authors independently screened the results of the requested SRs and evaluated these using the AMSTAR-1 checklist and AMSTAR-2 tool. Differences regarding study outcomes were resolved by consultation. Articles (N=37) submitted to the researcher included 35 reviews published in accredited journals. Of the reviews, only 18 were SRs as stated in their titles and these were of mixed designs and quality; and 17 were either non-structured and biased literature or critical reviews. SR topics reviewed in-training varied; and included temporo-mandibular disorders, implants and implant-supported prosthesis. AMSTAR-1 scores were favourable; scores were low for most SRs using AMSTAR-2, including those with randomized controlled trials only, with the exception of one review that had no randomized controlled trials but fulfilled the critical domain criteria. Students’ misconceptions regarding what constitutes good SRs which are translatable into clinical practice are emphasized, impacting their learning. CAs lack of appraisal skills related to SRs which may influence clinical practices are highlighted.
2. Higgins JPT, Green S. Cochrane Handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. 1st Edition. West Sussex, UK: WileyBlackwell. 2009.
3. Sackett DL, Rosenberg WM, Gray JA, Haynes R, Richardson W. Evidence-based medicine: what it is and what it isn’t. BMJ. 1996; 312: 71-2.
4. Ismail AI, Bader JD. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. JADA. 2004; 135: 78-83.
5. Akobeng AK. Principles of evidence-based medicine. Arch Dis Child. 2005; 90: 837-40.
6. Akobeng AK. Evidence in practice. Arch Dis Child. 2005; 90: 849-52.
7. Bero LA, Grilli R, Grimshaw JM, Harvey E, Oxman AD, Thomson MA. Closing the gap between research and practice: an overview of systematic reviews of interventions to promote the implementation of research findings. The Cochrane Effective Practice and Organization of Care Review Group. BMJ. 1998; 317(7156): 465-8.
8. Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, Mulrow C, Gøtzsche PC, et al. (2009). The PRISMA Statement for Reporting Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses of Studies That Evaluate Health Care Interventions: Explanation and Elaboration. BMJ. 2009; 339: b2700
9. Layton DM. Critical review of search strategies used in recent systematic reviews published in selected prosthodontics and implant-related journals: Are systematic reviews actually systematic? Int J Prosthodont. 2017; 30(1): 13-21.
10. Layton DM, Clarke M. Lost in translation: review of identification bias, translation bias and research waste in dentistry. Dent Mat. 2016; 32: 26-33.
11. Eckert S. The True Goal of Evidence-Based Dentistry. Int J Prosthodont. 2006; 19(2): 128-9.
12. Gillette J. Striving for Excellence with Evidence-Based Dentistry. J Evid Base Dent Pract. 2009; 9: 125-8.
13. Healy D, Lyons K. Evidence-based practice in dentistry. New Zealand Dent J. 2002; 98: 32-5.
14. Grimshaw JM, Eccles MP, Lavis JN, Hill SJ, Squires JE. Knowledge translation of research findings. Implementation Science. 2012; 7: 50.
15. Shea B, Grimshaw JM, Wells GA, Boers M, Andersson N, Hamel C, et al. Development of AMSTAR: a measurement tool to assess methodological quality of systematic reviews. BMC Med Res Methods. 2007; 7: 10. Doi: 10.1186/1471-22 88-7-104.
16. Shea BJ, Reeves BC, Wells G, Thuku M, Hamel C, Moran J, et al. AMSTAR 2: a critical appraisal tool for systematic reviews that include randomized or non-randomized studies of healthcare interventions, or both. BMJ. Sep 2017; 21; 358: j4008.
17. World Medical Organization. Declaration of Helsinki. Br Med J. 1996; 313: 1448-9.
18. Alfadda SA. Current evidence on dental implants outcomes in smokers and nonsmokers: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Oral Impl. 2018; XLIV (5). Doi: 10.1563/aaid-joiD17-00313.
19. Lemos CAA, Verri FR, Bonfante EA, Santiago Junior JF, Pellizzer EP. Comparison of external and internal implantabut-ment connections for implant supported prostheses. A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent. 2018; 70: 14-22.
20. Leão RS, Moraes SLD, Vasconcelos BCE, Lemos CAA. Splinted and unsplinted overdenture attachment systems: A systematic review and meat-analysis. J Oral Rehabil 2018; 45:647-56.
21. Huang C, Somar M, Mohadeb JVA. Efficiency of Cordless Versus Cord Techniques of Gingival Retraction: A Systematic Review. J Prosthodont. 2015; 1-9. doi: 10.1111/jopr.12352.
22. Said MM, Otomaru T, Leung KCM, Khan Z, Taniguchi. Systematic Review of literature: Functional outcomes of implant prosthetic treatment in patients with surgical resection for oral cavity tumors. J Invest Clin Dent. 2016; 1-9. doi: 10.1111/jicd.12207.
23. Lemos CAA, Verri FR, Gomes JML, Santiago Junior JF, Moraes SLD, Pellizzer EP. Bilateral balanced occlusion compared to other occlusal schemes in complete dentures: A systematic review. J Oral Rehabil. 2018; 45: 344-54.
24. Chen J, Cai H, Ren X, Suo L, Pei X, Wan Q. A Systematic Review of the survival and complication rates of all ceramic resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses. J Prosthodont. 2018;
25. Zancopé K, Abrão GM, Karam FK, Neves FD. Placement of a distal implant to convert a mandibular removable Kennedy Class I to an implant-supported partial removable Class III dental prosthesis: A systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 113: 528-33.
26. Nobrega AS, Santiago JF, Almeida DA, dos Santos DM, Pellizzer EP, Goiato C. Irradiated patients and survival of dental implants: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 116: 858-66.
27. Vagropoulou GI, Klifopoulou GL, Vlahou SG, Hirayama H, Michalakis K. Complications and survival rates of inlays and onlays vs complete coverage restorations: A systematic review and analysis of studies. J Oral Rehabil. 2018; 45: 903-20.
28. Marchello-Machado RM, Faot F, Schuster AJ, Nascimento GG, Del Bel Cury AA. Mini-implants and narrow diameter implants as mandibular overdenture retainers: A systematic review and met-analysis of clinical and radiographic outcomes. J Oral Rehabil 2018; 45: 161-83.
29. Bidra AS, Jacob RF, Taylor TD. Classification of maxillectomy defects: A systematic review and criteria necessary for a universal description. J Prosthet Dent. 2012; 107: 261-70.
30. Muts EJ, van Pelt H, Krejci I, Cune M. Tooth wear: A systematic review of treatment options. J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 752-9.
31. Marliéri DAA, Demétrio MS, Picinini LS, De Oliveira RG, Netto HDMC. Accuracy of computer-guided surgery for dental implant placement in fully edentulous patients: A systematic review. Eur J Dent. 2018; 12: 153-60.
32. Bueno CH, Pereira DD, Pattussi MP, Grossi PK, Grossi ML. Gender differences in temporomandibular disorders in adult populational studies: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Oral Rehabil. 2018; 45: 720-9.
33. Manfredini D, Poggio CE. Prosthodontic planning in patients with temporomandibular disorders and/or bruxism: A systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2017; 117: 606-13.
34. Bover-Ramos F, Viña-Almunia J, Cevera-Ballester J, Peñarrocha-Diago M, Garcia-Mira B. Accuracy of Implant Placement with Computer-Guided Surgery: Comparing Cadaver, Clinical and In Vitro Stuides. Int J Oral Maxillofac Imp. 2017. Doi: 10.11607/jomi.5556.
35. Mainkar A, Kim SG. Diagnostic Accuracy of 5 Dental Pulp Tests: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. J Endodont 2018; 44: 694-702.
36. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG, The PRISMA Group. Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: The PRISMA Statement. PLoS Med 2009; 6(6): e1000097. Doi:10.1371/journal.pmed1000097.
37. Stroup DF, Berlin JA, Morton SC, Olkin I, Williamson GD, Rennie D, et al. Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology (MOOSE): a Proposal for reporting. J American Medic Assoc. 2000; 283: 2008-12.
38. Straus SE, Tetroe J, Graham I. Defining knowledge translation. Can Med Ass J. 2009; 181(34): 165-8.
39. Grimshaw JM, Eccles MP, Lavis JN, Hill SJ, Squires JE. Knowledge translation of research findings. Implementation Science 2012; 7: 50.
40. Greenhalgh T. How to implement evidence-based healthcare. 1st Edition. West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell. 2018.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright for all articles is retained by the author/s of the individual articles.