Integrating dentistry into palliative medicine - Novel insights and opportunities
Palliative care is a global human right, to be provided in a systematic way. The dentist can help the patient right from the initial diagnosis of the condition up to the relief of pain in the terminal stages of the diseases. This inquiry into the oral physician‘s role on elderly care and special needs would be of benefit to researchers of Palliative Dentistry; particularly in multidisciplinary contexts. This text proposes to discussintegrated oral care, oral health care delivery system, and a flow of educational actions, resources, research, conceptual framework, guidelines and dissemination of newer trends in oral palliative care.
2. Rudolph MJ, Chikte UME, Lewis HA. A Mobile Dental System in Southern Africa. J Public Health Dent. 1992; 52: 59-63.
3. Mol RP. The role of dentist in palliative care team. Indian journal of palliative care. 2010; 16: 74.
4. Molete MP, Yengopal V, Moorman J. Oral health needs and barriers to accessing care among the elderly in Johannesburg. South African Dental Journal. 2014; 69; 352-7.
5. Wiseman M. The treatment of oral problems in the palliative patient. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association. 2006; 72: 453-8.
6. Harding R, Nair S, Ekstrand M. Multilevel model of stigma and barriers to cancer palliative care in India: a qualitative study. BMJ Open. 2019; 9: e024248.
7. Obadan-Udoh E, Ramoni R, Van Der Berg-Cloete S, White G, Kalenderian E. Perceptions of quality and safety among dental patients. South African Dental Journal. 2019; 74: 374-82.
8. Drenth, C. et al. Palliative Care in South Africa. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2018; 55: S170-7.
9. Strachan B, Zabow T, Van der Spuy ZM. More doctors and dentists are needed in South Africa. South African Medical Journal. 2011; 101: 523-8.
10. Defilippi K. Integrated community-based home care: Striving towards balancing quality with coverage in South Africa. Indian Journal of Palliative Care. 2005.
12. Gwyther L, et al. The development of hospital-based palliative care services in public hospitals in the Western Cape, South Africa. South African Medical Journal. 2018; 108: 86-9.
13. National Policy Framework and Strategy on Palliative Care. 2017-2022. Hospice Palliative Care Associate (HPCA) https://hpca.co.za/download/national-policy-framework-and-strategy-on-palliative-care-2017-2022/.
14. O’Brien V, et al. Palliative care made visible: Developing a rural model for the Western Cape Province, South Africa. African journal of primary health care & family medicine. 2019; 11: 1-11.
15. Lakhanpal M, Gupta N, Rao NC, Vashisth S. Understanding the Role of Dentist in Specialized Palliative Care. JSM Dent. 2014; 2: 1027.
16. Kumar SK. Kerala, India: a regional community-based palliative care model. Journal of pain and symptom management. 2007; 33: 623-7.
17. Rajagopal MR, Kumar S. A model for delivery of palliative care in India - the Calicut experiment. Journal of Palliative Care. 1999; 15: 44-9.
18. Nam Y, Kim N-H, Kho H-S. Geriatric oral and maxillofacial dysfunctions in the context of geriatric syndrome. Oral diseases. 2018; 24: 317-24.
19. Epstein JB, Güneri P, Barasch A. Appropriate and necessary oral care for people with cancer: guidance to obtain the right oral and dental care at the right time. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2014; 22: 1981-8.
20. Lynn J, Adamson DM. Living Well at the End of Life: Adapting Health Care to Serious Chronic Illness in Old Age Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. 2003; (2017).
21. Gupta S, et al. Reaching Vulnerable Populations through Portable and Mobile Dentistry - Current and Future Opportunities. Dentistry Journal. 2019; 7: 75.
22. Friedman PK. Geriatric dentistry: caring for our aging population. John Wiley & Sons, Iowa, USA. 2014.
23. Molete MP, Chola L, Hofman KJ. Costs of a school-based dental mobile service in South Africa. BMC Health Services Research. 2016; 16: 590.
24. Thema K, Singh S. Oral health service delivery in Limpopo Province. South African Dental Journal. 2017; 72: 310-4.
25. Chung J. Delivering Mobile Dentistry to the Geriatric Population -The Future of Dentistry. Dentistry Journal. 2019; 7: 62.
26. Demography - Elderly population - OECD Data. https://data.oecd.org/pop/elderly-population.htm.
27. Motloba PD, Makwakwa NL, Machete LM. Justice and oral health-implications for reform: Part Two. South African Dental Journal. 2019; 74: 208-11
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright for all articles is retained by the author/s of the individual articles.